Tiny Tiger

The ins and outs of Lucas' life.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Beating the Heat

It's been in the mid-90's here in Seattle the past couple of days...Seattle where we don't really know what air conditioning means unless we go out to eat. So we have to get creative in how we cool down. This afternoon after Lucas took his nap, I decided it was high time we got out and went kayaking.

Yes, kayaking.

Erica, who is living with us, just picked up a job working at a local place that rents kayaks called Agua Verde Paddle Club and Cafe. I had to confess jealousy at the fact she went kayaking the other day and would probably go again, when I had never gone. Jeff and I were going to rent a paddle boat on Green Lake this afternoon, which would have been fun, but somehow I got to thinking, "Hey, if they have a life jacket that fits a one year old for the paddle boats, I bet they'd have one for the kayaks." I went onto Agua Verde's webpage and lo and behold! they even let you take infants out. So.

It was awesome. Lucas did great. We took a 2 person kayak and took turns holding Lucas and paddling. We were out almost 2 hours, cooled down, worked up a healthy appetite and got aquainted with Seattle in yet another way. Tragically we didn't bring a camera (water and all) but here some links to some photos others took while out on Lake Union here and here.

I needed it. I needed the reminder that you can get out and do really cool things that you want to do with kids and still have it go well. I've wanted to go kayaking for years. Today was my first time. And it was so fun ot have Lucas in my lap getting excited about the float planes taking off from the lake, waving at other people going past, and periodically glancing up at me or back at Jeff, grinning really big, and saying "hi!".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home